- Kids learn decision-making, problem-solving and gain focus
- Kids develop concentration
- Helps improve academic grades
- Attendance and behavior improve
- Kids gain emotional maturity
- Sat 1 - 2 pm (Anil)
- Sat 2 - 3 pm (Anil)
Class Size - Upto 6 students | Class Duration: 1 hour class every week
Fees: $125 for 5 week session
Location: 12 A Street, Burlington, MA 01803
Our goal as chess instructors is for our students to develop a love for chess and to compete in state and national tournaments. We are committed to making each and every student as a competent chess player. We create a fun and learning environment in order for students to get the most out of their chess course.
During the course kids learn:
1) Get to know the pieces
2) Movement of pieces
3) Rules for chess
4) checks, checkmates and Stalemates
5) Basic Tactics
6) Basic Opening and endgame Strategy
7) Rules about chess and tournaments
8) Basic endgames
Classes will be an hour with 30 to 40 min of instruction (depends on the level of kids )and 20-30 min Supervised play time. Kids will be encouraged to practice at home. Weekly worksheets will be given with what they have learnt in the class.
Anil Ahuja works in the IT Department of a company located in Boston. Anil was his School Chess Champion and went on to represent Jai Hind College in Mumbai for 5 consecutive years. His team stood 3rd, 4th, and 2nd respectively in Senior College, and he was the Captain of Jai Hind College Chess team in his final year. He was one of 5 students selected from all colleges in Mumbai University to represent Mumbai University at the All-India Inter-Varsity Chess Championship. Mumbai University stood 5th in All-India that year. Anil has been coached by Ambrish Bakaya, a former Inter-Varsity player, Grandmaster Praveen Thipsay (former India National Chess Champion), and Satish Thipsay. He has played in several US Chess Federation (USCF) rated tournaments.
Anil is passionate about Chess, enjoys teaching and comes to us with experience teaching Chess to 8 students simultaneously.
Payment and Missed Class Policy:
Training requires consistency in order to achieve the most benefit. However, we understand that students may occasionally need to miss a class. Use the following guidelines to ensure that you get the most out of your classes at The Academy of Creative Arts.
- Your fees are due on or before the first class in a month
- Payment may be made by cash, check or credit card
- If you pay for several months in advance and cannot complete all months, we will refund months not used when notice is received before the beginning of the month
- If you or your child plan to miss a class - 48 hour advance notice is required - so another student can be accommodated - if the student does not provide 48 hour notice, student can coordinate the make-up class with the instructor.
- Your monthly fee pays for your space in class for the month. It is your responsibility to make up classes if you or your child miss the class.
- One makeup class will be offered each month. During any month that you are enrolled, you may make up a class by attending any other appropriate session (please coordinate with the instructor for scheduling the make up class). Make up classes should be completed within 60 days of missing the class. Fees for missed classes are not refundable.
- If you are having trouble scheduling a make up class, please let us know and we will try to accommodate you
- Class timings and schedule are subject to change
We wish you a wonderful learning experience - these policies are required so that we can be respectful of the instructors time and commitment.
Homepage Chess image credit: "ChessSet" by Alan Light - Own work by the original uploader. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Commons - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:ChessSet.jpg#/media/File:ChessSet.jpg