THEATRE & ACTING
FALL SESSION STARTS SEPT 15TH, 2018
- CLOWNING AROUND JUNIOR
- CLOWNING AROUND SENIOR
CLOWNING AROUND JUNIOR
- Age Group : 5 -8 years (Min 5 Students)
- Day/Time : Sat / 11:30 - 1 pm
- Fees : $130
CLOWNING AROUND SENIOR
- Age Group : 9 -14 years (Min 5 Students)
- Day/Time : Sat / 1 - 2:30 pm
- Fees : $130
This workshop will be over the course of 4 weeks and will give students an introduction to the art of clowning. Many kids see clowns as scary or an act that belongs in the circus, however, clowning is actually a theatrical art form which can be extremely useful in confronting fears and inhibitions or as a tool for acting. Kids will learn various theater games as an introduction to this course. These games will allow them to loosen up and not be afraid of being silly in front of their peers. Over the course of the four weeks, kids will discover who their clown is through the “red nose ritual” and introduce them to the rest of the class. Various clowning exercises and games will allow them to continually explore their own clown as well as their classmates clowns’.
The course will end in a devised “clown show” with has the option of being performed to friends and family. This clowning class will be a great introduction to acting and allow kids to let their imagination run wild. There is no wrong answer when it comes to clowning, if something doesn’t work you keep discovering, exploring, and having fun. Kids are the best clowns!
Instructor : Alex Deroo is a professional actor in the Boston area with a BFA in Theatre Performance from Salem State University. He has been in many theatrical productions over the years including Romeo & Juliet on the Boston Common last summer!
He is well versed in both classical and contemporary theatre. Alex would like to share his knowledge of acting and theatre with you! Classes are for all ages and will include theater games, monologue coaching, scene study, clowning, Shakespeare, and performances for the public. Alex would like to stress that you do not need to have any previous acting experience to be able to participate in these classes. Theatre is an art form that anyone can benefit from whether you are looking to strengthen your public speaking skills, expand your creative and imaginative potential, or improve upon your previously developed acting techniques.
BUILDING SELF-ESTEEM THROUGH DRAMA
In addition to building social and communication skills overall, involvement in drama courses and performance has been shown to improve students’ self-esteem as well as their confidence in their academic abilities.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Drama activities improve reading comprehension, and both verbal and non-verbal communication skills
- Students who are highly involved in drama demonstrate an elevated self-concept over those who are not involved .
- Playwriting original works and dramatic presentation of existing works can help to build the self-esteem and communication skills of students.
- The act of performing can help students and youth recognize their potential for success and improve their confidence
- Drama improves academic performance - Numerous studies have demonstrated a correlation between drama involvement and academic achievement. In addition to having higher standardized test scores than their peers who do not experience the arts, student who participate in drama often experience improved reading comprehension, maintain better attendance records, and stay generally more engaged in school than their non-arts counterparts. Schools with arts-integrated programs, even in low-income areas, report high academic achievement.
Payment and Missed Class Policy:
Training requires consistency in order to achieve the most benefit. However, we understand that students may occasionally need to miss a class. Use the following guidelines to ensure that you get the most out of your classes at The Academy of Creative Arts.
- Your fees are due on or before the first day of the camp, the extended day payments can be made on the last day the student attends the program
- Payment may be made by cash, check or credit card
- If you pay for several weeks in advance and cannot complete all weeks, we will refund weeks not used when notice is received 48 hours before beginning of the week
- If you or your child plan to miss a class - 48 hour advance notice is required - so another student can be accommodated - if the student does not provide 48 hour notice and does not attend the session 50% of the fees will be refunded. If the student attends part of the camp and misses the rest, the student will not be eligible for any refund.
- Class timings and schedule are subject to change
We wish you a wonderful learning experience - these policies are required so that we can be respectful of the instructors time and commitment.